Karen Ferguson Fackrell writes a letter to Dad


Hello Bro. Evans,
  I have wanted to write this letter for over two years now, seriously!  You have been in my thoughts and prayers so often and it is time I put my thoughts on paper and let you know how important you are to me and my family.
  I don't want to sound overly dramatic in this letter but you truly have been an influential part of my life,  and so many times the thought has crossed my mind that I couldn't be where I am today without the help you gave me SO many years ago.
  You hired me back in 1972/1973 (so long ago I can't remember) I was a junior in high school.  Why you chose me out of all the other capable young women in our ward at that time was something I've always wondered about.  Learning dentistry from you was easy and so much fun, and I soon found that I loved it.  I especially loved ortho. Taking arch wires, ligature wires, and all the tools needed to change my own wires to BYU was a funny thing to my roommates.  They would watch every arch wire change and ask me how I learned to do it. So I would tell them about Dr. Evans. Thank you, Doctor Evans.
  Self-confidence is an issue that most young people deal with as they mature, and I was no different than most.  What you maybe didn't know was that I was in a home environment where self-confidence was not a priority and my father continually told me I was dumb, stupid, and that I couldn't do anything right.  Working along side with you helped me see that in many ways, I wasn't dumb, or stupid, and that I could do many things.  You were always someone who encouraged me and made me see that there are better ways to help young people develop self-esteem.  When I came through the door of your office I knew my sadness and frustration would disappear and that great conversation, learning, and lots of laughter would boost my mood.  You had a true interest in the youth of our ward and would love to ask me questions about what we were all up to. You were interested.  You didn't replace my dad; I loved my dad very much, but speaking of church matters and anything related to church participation was taboo at our house.  My dad hated our church.  It was so nice to be able to speak of church things without the threat of the "cold shoulder" treatment.  When I was baptized at age 15 my father did not speak to me…..not one word….for weeks.  I love the church and I loved the church as a teenager.  Being able to talk about it with you was something I will always remember and appreciate.  My testimony grew because of you, Thank you,  Brother Evans.
  Your friendship through the years was something I could always depend on.  Whether it was work or church, I knew you cared about me.  Many years have passed since I helped you fill someone's tooth,  or sat in ward or stake meetings planning youth activities.  Over the years I have worked for many dentists and doctors because of the things you taught me and tools you helped me develop.  I now work at Mayo Clinic in the Phoenix area and have had my wonderful job for over 11 years.  I know I would not be here in a job I love if you hadn't taken that chance on me, hiring me so many years ago.  Your relationship with your sweet wife was an example I wanted to follow in my own marriage, and it was something I noticed even as a teenager.  I watched how you treated your children.  I now have four wonderful adult children that have heard about you over the years because I told them how important your help was to me at a time I really needed it. You are a great example of Christ-like love and service.   Steve knows how much I appreciate you and he joins me in my gratitude.  Thank you, friend Bruce
  I have heard you have had a rough few months and my prayer is that you will find strength through love and support from your many friends and devoted family.  Steve and I are hoping to come to KC sometime this year to go through the KC Temple.  We will see you then.  The Steve Fackrell Family loves you and your family!!  
Karen Ferguson Fackrell

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this article with us. It has really helped me a lot to build more backlinks for my website.Tree Trimming Overland Park

    ReplyDelete